Many people like the idea of the sight and sound of water. And why wouldn’t they!? Water is a basic need for life and is hard-wired into our conscience-ness.
You can create a long lasting water feature for your home and property and do it in a way that benefits you and the environment. You can have something as small as a bird bath for your feathered friends or all the way up to a small lake! You get to choose!
The key to success in a water feature is sustainability. Will the benefits it creates be greater than the cost and work to build it and will it continue to be an important part of your life so that you are willing to maintain it?
Here are some things to keep in mind for a sustainable water feature or pond:
- Size it according to your budget
- Build it with the end goal of low-maintenance
- Design it in a way that you don’t need to use pesticides and other chemicals in the water
- Place the pond or water feature in a place that you will see and use daily
- Add habitat and plants around the water feature for birds and other wildlife that you like to see
A water feature can be a great addition to your sustainable property design. And you can create one that you will enjoy and use as part of your outdoor lifestyle.