In the landscape industry there are about 190 deaths and 18,500 injuries a year; and the do-it-yourself homeowner statistics are even worse.
You can avoid this fate by reading and following the owners manuals and purchasing and using the proper safety gear.
Here are some sobering facts before you start your weekend project:
- 36,000 people are injured by chainsaws annually. Hey guys, 95% are men.
- The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches and the average medical cost is $12,000. And guess what? You’ll be missing work!
- In 2011, 3,780 kids, 14 years old or under were among 83,291 people treated in U.S. hospital emergency departments for lawn mower injuries.
- Another 13,000 children went to clinics or doctors offices for lawnmower injuries in that time period.
- Many children are injured when riding on the mower with an adult…what does the owner manual say about that?
- About 6,000 people a year go to the emergency room for injuries caused by the common pressure washer.